Boulevard Park Historical Information
The new subdivision of Boulevard Park, the second subdivision after Oak Park but the first within city limits, was originally formed on what was previously the old state fairgrounds and its racetrack.
It was in 1905 that the land was sold to developers who converted the fairgrounds and divided the land into three subsections.
After World War II, many original homeowners of the subdivision sold their homes and moved into newer suburbs, altering the atmosphere of the neighborhood as some of the new landlords used the homes as boarding houses. Urban renewal in the 1970s reclaimed the Boulevard Park area and homes were restored to their former architectural glory. Many are historic district contributing properties.
Today, the subdivision consists of about 300 buildings and it is the largest neighborhood in Sacramento on the National Register of Historic Places.